Sunday 5 April 2015

Sissinghurst.


                               Résultat de recherche d'images pour "sissinghurst castle"

Of all the 7 deadly sins, my favourite must be Envy.

I have no shame in occasionally being envious of others, especially when it comes to architecture.

There are several periods of English architecture which count amongst my, and most Englishmen's, favourites.... Tudor, Elizabethan, and probably the most popular, Georgian.

My own preference is for Elizabethan architecture (1550-1600 aprox), with Sissinghurst being one of the best domestic examples.

                               Résultat de recherche d'images pour "sissinghurst castle"

Sissinghurst was famously bought in 1930 by gardener Vita Sackville-West and her diplomat husband Harold Nicholson. It was almost in ruin when they purchased the house, and they spent years restoring and redesigning both it, and the garden.

The stone mullioned windows, coupled with mellow bricks and tiles, give the house (castle) a warmth that has never since been paralleled in English architecture.

Inside every (well, almost every) Englishman/woman lies dreams of an Elizabethan manor/farmhouse. There are two problems here; there probably aren't enough to go round, and most of us couldn't afford them anyway. Still, we can always dream.


15 comments:

  1. I love stone mullioned windows. Modern architecture leaves me cold - just a load of glass cubes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like The Pompidou Centre in Paris, but the 'taller, glassier, sillier' school of modern architecture leaves me equally cold.

      Delete
  2. Vita had a varied sex life. I bet they had good parties at Sissinghurst. It really rocked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a lesbian, and he was gay; the perfect married couple!

      Delete
  3. A lovely piece of architecture Cro, be as you say far out of the reach of the 'ordinary' man. Ho hum back to dreaming it is .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. There certainly aren't enough to go around, but an old customer of mine has just bought one and I am to have a hand in it's restoration/conservation. I don't think I will be inheriting it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least by being involved in its restoration, you'll be a part of its history. Better than nothing.

      Delete
    2. That's what I thought, until I saw the pressed-steel radiators painted with mock-tudorbeams.

      Delete
  5. And you can always look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reasons I'm reminded that I drove past a hotel in Mallorca that was tall and wide but it seemed only one room thickness and had no windows at the back. I wondered if it would topple over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could easily move in if someone else would foot the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sissinghurst is so beautiful ….. we have only ever lived in old houses ….. nothing on that scale, but our own little piece of English history. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never live in a modern house. They don't have the character I need.

      Delete
  10. It's a fabulous time of year to visit it. The daffs are a glorious display there in the spring.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...