Friday 10 April 2015

Haddock's rebirth.



It feels so good to be back planting at Haddock's again (apart from my back, of course).

I have sowed two rows of Red Onions, planted several Red Cabbages and Cauliflowers, and been a little foolhardy with my Tomatoes.

Each Tomato plant has a tile leaning against the 'canes'; partly against the heat of the sun, and partly against possible night-time frost. I have also half-buried plastic funnels (old plastic bottles), pointing directly at their roots for watering. If they are eventually hit by frost, I'll simply have to plant again, but it'll be my own silly fault.

The varieties I've planted are Supersteak and Russe, both big fat salad beauties, and Roma, the classic plum-shaped Italian cooking Tomato. I shall plant some more later; cherry Toms, etc.

My annual preservation of Courgettes/Peppers/Aubergines in Tomato sauce is always a bit tricky. Getting everything in the right quantities at the right time is not easy, but I'm hoping by planting my Tomatoes much earlier than is sensible, I might overcome part of the problem (if, of course, they survive). Last year my Courgettes were almost over before the Tomatoes were ripe.

As usual my fingers are crossed.





18 comments:

  1. Looks good - planted out leeks here today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tomatos are very sensitive as i remember from the days we grew them near the dead sea where we lived 30 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your thinking but you may upset the ice saints by such rash behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your little frost protection for the tomatoes, I think I'd need more than that here! Mine are pricked out in the greenhouse and I've probably planted far too many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tomatoes are very cosseted ! I hope they survive. I will buy some plants at some point and bung them in the veg plot and hope for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiles and bottles are a brilliant idea. We could never grow outdoor tomatoes up here - too far North except in an exceptional Summer. You are well on with you garden and we are green with envy. Hope the frosts avoid your plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. The long-term forecast is good, but one can never be complacent.

      Delete
  7. Oh how gorgeous it all looks.......have threatened to grow other stuff but only managed to maintain my rhubarb....which have already harvested twice this year....can't wait for my trip to France end of June!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had just one lot of Rhubarb so far..... Lady Magnon returns tomorrow, so I'll pick some more then.

      Delete
  8. Brave man planting the toms so early. However, it looks like that with all your planning, it just might work. I am impressed, especially about the plastic bottles for watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave or stupid... not sure. We'll see later on!

      Delete
  9. Tomato planting underway here too - albeit not outside but in the greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mega impressed with your tomato plants

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judging by the size of the stakes you are expecting plants something out of the Day of the Triffids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had Tomatoes weighing 650 gms, so they need to be pretty solid.

      Delete
  12. That's a lot of work, I hope your back has recovered! I am seriously impressed. I hope the Ice Gods are kind and the tomatoes flourish! I am so disheartened with my veg patch, I can't bear to even look at it, what with the very dry summer we have had killing everything but the hardiest plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for the beach; not so good for the vegs.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...