Wednesday 18 June 2014

Appalling Admission.



Foreground: Cro's home-made Pork, Truffle, and Foie Gras Paté. Opinion, Good but slightly under-seasoned. 

Rear: Commercial Jean Haget Paté Piquant. Opinion, Almost bloody perfect.

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I'm seriously thinking of abandoning most of my own Paté making this winter.

I've recently discovered this commercial Paté (above) that is so very good that my own efforts appear almost amateurish and futile.

This tinned Paté does not contain MY usual dose of truffle and foie gras, so I'll probably make a few jars of home-made anyway, just for the hellavit.

If you happen to be in France this Summer, and spot these distinctive green and yellow cans of Paté (above) in a supermarket, do yourself a favour (as my friend Serge did recently) and buy yourself a dozen. You'd thank me each time one was opened!

p.s. It says 'Paté Piquant' on the can, but it's only slightly so. And be warned; most tinned Patés are nowhere near as good as this stuff; so take note of the name!


17 comments:

  1. Pity, I doubt it will be available here. Looks like you have a plentiful supply anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a lot more; smaller tins!

      Delete
  2. Your dish looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only recently discovered that I like pate after a weeks work in France last year! I think some of it can be so horrible that it's no wonder I was put off for so many years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Added it to this week's shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes, just sometimes, a commercial product can surpass homemade and then it's worth buying….. the odd non-homemade item won't hurt !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the heads up but I doubt that any tins will find their way to my local supermarket, more's the pity. Though our local butcher makes a very acceptable pate, which id fortunate as I a a little squeamish about making it myself..

    ReplyDelete
  7. You enjoy preparing your food so much and am sure there will be Cro Pate in your pantry along with the store bought variety this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used to get cognac pate every year for Christmas and New Years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A store near my house carries a number of tinned goods from foreign places; i'll have to see if they have this. Thanks for mentioning it, Cro. I've yet to make my own pâté. ditto Scotch eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just had tea - two seeded rolls with mustard and cress and hard boiled egg filling Cro. Now I wish I had some of this instead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never had pate' until I was 50 (crass American) but now am addicted. Yours however sounds much better. Homemade is in my opinion worth the effort. Save some of your creation for me. I plan to make it to France by 2025

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...