Thursday 23 September 2010

Haddock's in September.

My two favourite months of the year are without question June and September; but particularly September.

I took this photo at 8 am yesterday morning. It was already warm, with the promise of 29 C by lunchtime. At this time of year there is no humidity, just the occasional warm breeze.

At Haddock's (my veg' patch above) the Curly Kale, Brussels Sprouts, Leeks, Cabbages, and Carrots are all ready for the pot, and the remaining Peppers and Aubergines are still plentiful. I also have about a dozen bushes dripping with Chilli Peppers that will need to be dealt with any day. Other than that we still have Courgettes, Tomatoes, and Butternut Squash.

In the fruit garden the Figs, Grapes, and Bramley Apples are overwhelming us, and even the recently planted Pear Tree (Finn's tree) has about a dozen fruits that are slowly ripening.

It won't be long before the Walnuts start to drop, and, hopefully, Boletus Edulis will start to appear; my fingers are crossed. What beautiful days!


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. What do you do with your chilli peppers? Do you dry them? I found some field mushrooms in the garden yesterday but I don't trust my fungi identification skills sufficiently to risk eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in chilly Somerset, I made my first mini mushroom foray of the season - 4 boletus (not cepe) 1 shaggy ink cap and a few wood mushrooms. A good sign. No figs, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I'm going to pickle them, they're green ones that I grow specially. And beware all white mushrooms (other than Parasols of course).

    Tom, I've heard that in Sussex (and in the north of France) the Cepe harvest has been spectacular. Here, as yet, nowt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your vegetable patch rivals that of Mr. McGregor, Cro! My favorite months of the year? October and January.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful indeed! You are a lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this picture. It has that amber touch of fall, but with your beautiful summer garden in full harvest. And I love the field stretching beyond. What a great spot for a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, I have a bench up there underneath a fig tree, and when I've had enough digging etc, I just sit and admire that view. It's very re-envigorating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cro your garden at Haddocks looks very impressive. The weather looks good too - still wet here! I'd love to own a fig tree - I think I'd just sit underneath eating figs(I love figs) - then I wouldn't be fit for my own company or anybody else's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cro your vegies look great our patch is just starting to look like real food! it takes a while when you start a new patch and impatience sets in lol.Kale is just starting to get known over here,I had it in UK and loved it,I suppose it has been in the city markets for awhile but being in the bush I had never ever heard of it,I am going to try growing it this year.September is the loveliest month for Aussies too,it is our spring and there is nothing like new life all round,our bulbs are all flowering Jasimin scent everywhere and the time of stoned fruits not too far off.Carole

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your September looks and sounds bountiful Cro.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...